Friday 17 September, 2.15pm - 4.15pm. A Microsoft Teams event. The UK rail industry and the rail investment pipeline...
A cross-party letter has been sent to the Prime Minister by leaders in the North and Midlands “calling for the...
HS2’s Eastern Leg – impact and benefits
Why HS2 East?
- One-third of economic benefit of HS2 Eastern Leg generated from greater connectivity between city regions.
- Leeds, Sheffield, East Midlands and Birmingham will be better connected to each other, creating a powerful Northern super-economy of 8 million people and 4 million jobs, all within one hour’s travel time.
- Connecting airports such as Leeds-Bradford, Birmingham, Nottingham, East Midlands and Newcastle to HS2 will provide game-changing access to international markets and provide greater resilience to the UK’s international connectivity.
- Linking places to the new high speed network with new HS2 stations will deliver millions of pounds of value to communities through improved connectivity.
- Huge potential for a region of 13 million people.
- The Eastern Leg of HS2 delivers a greater financial benefit, at a lower cost, than any other part of HS2.
- Our world class universities and further education colleges will provide the skills and expertise that HS2 will need.
- We have some of the UK’s biggest concentrations of manufacturing and our important existing specialisms throughout the rail supply chain are already a major source of employment – sectors that can only go from strength to strength with HS2.
- HS2 East cities have a combined economy larger than Denmark’s.
- HS2 East cities provide 27% of UK GDP.
- Eastern Leg of HS2 promises £4.2bn in economic benefit.
- Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham and Derby together generate £100bn for the national economy (GVA, 2012).
- Urban renewal directly incorporating and facilitated by HS2 will attract hundreds of millions of pounds in investment, tens of thousands of new jobs, and will regenerate areas to become economically sustainable for the long term.
Henry Boot Construction is an award-winning contractor that employs over 150 people in the HS2...
"World-class education and research needs world-class connectivity”, says Sir Alan Langlands,...
Digital Law is a small law firm whose clients have a worldwide presence. Managing director Peter...